1. How old will you be in 3 birthdays?
If I don't even know how old Dean Winchester is, I clearly don't keep that close track of how old I am. (I have to redo the math on Dean every. single. time. it's relevant to a fic.)
2. Do you think you'll be married by then?
Seriously doubt it, though I'm a person of extremes, and Lily's absence left (leaves) something so vacuous in me it made me desperately wish I were. I wanted and SO, I wanted kids. To the point that I looked up whether arranged marriage was a thing in the US (it's not) and looked (unseriously) at adoption websites.
3. What do you look forward to most in the next 2 months?
vie_dangerouse is coming to visit me!
4. Do you prefer shoes, socks, or bare feet?
5. When was the last time you cried?
Today. I was thinking about walking up to my mother's house the night before I flew back to Michigan--my sister and I had been out all day flyering for Lily, calling her, talking to people. We got right up to the threshold of the door and Lily wasn't yipping from the other side and I just burst into tears. I booked it to the back bedroom and my sister and I held each other in the dark and cried together. I have cried every single day since 31 December except 20 January. There was nothing particularly special about 20 January. This is just facts.
6. What was the last thing you drank?
Water. The answer is almost always water, though sometimes tea.
7. Favourite ice cream?
The 99 cent giant scoop pecan praline at Rite Aid. We never liked the fancy, richer ice creams because they were too thick, too thirst-inducing. Rite Aid ice cream as at least 50% straight-up ice, and refreshing. Of course, when the price went up to $1.09 that was a dealbreaker. I also love Trade Joe's chocolate cherry Soy Creamy.
8. What is your favourite number?
9. What's your favourite colour?
10. What Jelly do you put on your PB&J?
I associate apricot preserves with my paternal grandparents, so I will often purchase that.
11. What location(s) is/are on your bucket travel list?
All of them. But on my literal my list right now are South Africa/Swaziland, Costa Rica, Iceland, the Lassen hot springs, Yellowstone/Grand Teton, Zion/Bryce Canyon, the lesser canyons around the Grand Canyon, and the new-ish cephalopod exhibit at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
12. How many glasses of water a day do you drink on average?
Not nearly enough! That's for sure.
13. What do you drink in the morning?
Nothing, mostly. Tea requires a commitment to remaining stationary and water is too damn cold. I live in an unheated apartment in Michigan, okay.
14. Would you rather kiss someone with or without tongue?
I've never kissed anyone who was not related to me, canine, or inanimate.
15. Do you sleep on a certain side of the bed?
When my sister and I shared the bunk bed at my mother's house, I slept to her right, against the ladder.
16. Do you know how to play poker?
One of my former best friends taught me how to play Texas Hold 'Em, as well as Omaha. I don't really remember how, I don't think, but I can certainly fake my way through writing it.
17. What's so good about Fridays?
Home before sundown.
18. Any plans for this weekend?
Get my shit together. Illustrate a goals chart.
19. Do you eat out or at home more often?
I eat most of my meals at school, prepared at home. The last time I ate out was with my family, at a Black Bear Diner. My mother suggested it; we were all empty and cold in Lily's wake. The song playing on the jukebox when my mother and I walked in "Runaway" by Small Faces. I remember my sister and I explaining to my mother what a hipster was (upbeat interlude), and crying silently all the way there, and all the way back.
20. How big is your TV?
It's 13.3" and its preferred noun is "laptop."
21. Ever stolen a street sign?
22. Do you keep a piggy bank?
When I lived in San Diego, we had a communal piggy bank for loose change. After three years, we took it to a CoinStar and got over $70 out of it--so we all went out to eat Italian with it.
23. Would you kiss the last person you kissed again?
I believe it was my mother, so I suppose so.
24. Have you ever been in an ambulance?
Just to answer questions.
25. Do you prefer an ocean or a pool?
Ocean, hands down. Pools skeeve me out--as do pool drains, pool filters, and pool lights. As does most freshwater, chlorinated or not.
26. Do you prefer a window seat or an aisle seat?
I like the window, but on my flights to California if I'm not sitting in the center seat I go for aisle--my only objective is to get out of the plane as efficiently as possible.
27. Do you know how to drive a stick shift?
I want to. (Also, this meme is too goddamn long. I'm bored.)
28. What is your favourite thing to spend money on?
Travel. Circus. Backpacking gear. I also have a tendency to spend lavishly when it comes to sibling gifts or guests I'm treating to meals.
29. Do you wear any jewellery 24/7?
I have a silver ring I bought at a farmer's market in La Jolla the first year I lived in San Diego, which is my "promise ring" to the sea. I used to have a fish necklace from my visit to Alaska in 2009 that I wore all the time, until I lost it on the banks of Lake Coeur d'Alene in 2013. I replaced it with a California pendant my mother gave me in 2013, but when the chain for that broke I put it in my pencil case and started wearing a honu pendant from my grandfather's memorial service in 2001, on the Big Island, Hawai'i.
30. Do you speak any other language?
I've studied Russian, Japanese, Chinese (sort of), and Spanish. Do I speak any other language? How do we define "speak"?
31. Can you roll your tongue?
Nope, though I will forever admire Misha's ability to do so!
32. Last person you lay in bed with?
33. Do you sleep with stuffed animals?
I slept with a live animal.
34. Do you still have clothes from when you were little?
I still regularly wear clothing from when I was little... It's just a wraparound skirt now, instead of a wraparound dress.
35. What is the colour of your bedroom wall?
White, I assume.
36. Do you shut off the water when you brush your teeth?
Always. I generally walk around the house while brushing my teeth; standing in the bathroom is boring.
37. Do you currently hate someone?
I don't think so.
38. Do you currently have a crush on someone?
I have an intellectual personhood crush on Chang Rae Lee right now, whom I had tea with last Tuesday!
39. What are you listening to?
The hum of the refrigerator on my right, and the Taylor Swift stuck in my head.